Once you have established your Committees and Service Assignments you are ready to add members to each Ministry Committee.
Note: If you would like your ministers to receive weekly reminders that they are serving, be sure that the member's record contains a valid email and/or cell phone number and the proper notification boxes are checked. Gabriel reminders are sent out in bulk by the system on Thursdays at 12:30 pm PDT. Ministry reminders are sent to the email first and if there is no email in the member record the notification will be sent to the member's cell phone. Additionally, if you are new to using the Ministry Scheduling function please contact our IT Team so that they can set up the notification reminder function for your church.
You can add Members to Committees via Member Maintenance or Committee Maintenance.
***** If you are part of a cluster and/or collaborative and you are creating Ministry Schedules for multiple churches please add your ministers from Committee Maintenance. This will allow you to select the Multi-Parish function which enables you to add members from any of your churches. You must also decide which one of your churches to run your Ministry Schedules from. *****
Adding a Member to a Committee via Committee Maintenance (Preferred method if you are part of a cluster and/or collaborative).
1. Scroll to Committees > Committee Maintenance and open one of your Ministry Committees. The following screen will open. You can start typing the name of the person (first or last name) you wish to add and as you type a drop-down list of names will appear. Select the name you wish to add to the committee. Proceed to Step #6 to learn about each field and what to add. If you are not part of a cluster and/or collaborative you do not need to check the Multi-Parish box.
5. Select the Committee that you wish to add the Member to from the drop-down box.
6. Preferred Service (Mass) - If a parishioner has more than one preferred service you will have to add them to the committee for each preferred service. If you are part of a cluster and/or collaborative you will need to make sure you have set up your Masses for each church. If a member is able to serve at any of the masses they may have 2 or more preferred services. You can see from the example below that Luke Hoffman is able to serve at 2 different Masses.
7. Committee Position - This is used when you have members who always want to be scheduled together. In this particular field if, for example, you might have (2) Eucharistic Ministers (can be in different families or in the same family), a lector, and a greeter who always wants to serve together. You might assign them the name "Team Hogan 1". When you add each member to their committees then you would insert the name "Team Hogan 1" into this field. When you use ministry teams the following holds true; there must be at least 2 people on a team, each team member must have the same preferred service defined, and if one team member is busy then the whole team is busy and will not be scheduled. If a team has multiple preferred Mass times that are the same then you will need to create multiple teams with different names. For example, you might have "Team Hogan 1", "Team Hogan 2", and "Team Hogan 3". Where "Team Hogan 1" is for the 4 PM Saturday Mass, "Team Hogan 2" is for the 8:00 AM Sunday Mass, and "Team Hogan 3" is for the 9:30 AM Sunday Mass. We recommend that you use this function only as necessary because this could limit how often a minister serves when one team is busy.
8. Family Schedule - Selecting "yes" as the option will keep all family members from being assigned to different masses throughout the weekend. Gabriel calls this the orphaning effect. If the families do not mind being assigned to different masses then you can leave the selection as "no". When you select yes keep in mind if one member of the family is busy it does not prevent the other members from being scheduled. In this case, if the entire family is going on vacation then you would have to enter busy weeks for each family member.
9. Year - You can use this field to enter the year they started serving on this ministry.
10. Month Week - if a member wants to only serve on the first week of the month put in 1. 2 for the second week, 3 for the third week, 4 for the fourth week. If the member is not restricted simply leave this blank. Note: If you had a parishioner who only served the 5th week throughout the calendar year then you would have to manually add them in when you generate the grid prior to generating the schedule.
11. Monthly Max - sets a maximum number of assignments for the given schedule. If no limit leave blank (recommended)
12. Press the Save button and the member is now on the Committee