This article is also available via a 4 min video which provides more details on the process. Video: Adding a new family
If you have a new Family join your parish, the following steps will walk you through adding a Family record to Gabriel and then all of the Members of that family along with any contact information you have.
This link contains additional information for entering Family and Member Records. Gabriel Database Standards for Entering Family and Member Records
Tip: Prior to adding a new family and/or member record to your database search the database by selecting the Family Status All > Search. (Using Family and Member Search) This will produce any records that may already exist for the family within your church. If the family currently exists you can change the Family Status to active and update the Family and Member Records. If the family does not exist follow the instructions under Family Record.
If you are part of a Diocese, Cluster and/or Collaborative then you would search across the Diocese or within your group of churches to ensure the family record does not already exist. If the family record exists then you can add them to your church and assign the appropriate family status. Following this practice will prevent you from creating duplicate family/member records. Please refer to this link for searching across the Diocese and adding a family to your church. Family Search Across The Diocese
1. Open the new Family Search page by clicking Families > Family Search from the top navigation bar.
2. Just above the list of families click New Family.
3. On the New Family page enter the information for the Family. Things to note:
- This contact information is typically used for mailings and other family-level contacts.
- The Mailing Label field is
- Contributions and Pledges are tracked at the Family level. Go to the Family Pledge, Contribution and/or Statistic Tabs to view this historical information for each Family.
- Only the Last Name field is required. All other fields are optional.
- For the First Name field, you can use one name or multiple names.
- If you are going to use Church Budget Envelope Integration then check the box Has Envelopes and be sure you assign a unique Budget Number to the family.
- When entering family email or family telephone number the drop down arrow is used to specify families contact preferences. If you use One Call Now Integration and the family wants to receive phone calls you should check Voice Mail Notifications. For more details on One Call Integration please click on the link One Call Integration
4. Once you have entered all of the information then click the Save button in the bottom right corner of the page. You have now added a Family Record. Congratulations!
1. When you clicked Save on the New Family page the Members Tab opened in the bottom of half of the page. Click New Member.
2. A pop-up will appear, enter the First Name and click Save.
3. You will be taken to the Member Information page. Here you can enter any information about the Member you have. The member record has 7 Tabs (Addresses (includes alternate home address and work), Busy Weeks, Committees, Sacraments, RE History, Miscellaneous and PRM tabs where you can enter information unique to each family member). To create a member record you only need the First Name and Last Name and they have already been populated for you.
4. Once you have entered the information click Save.
Now you can continue to add additional Members to this Family by clicking the arrow on the right side of the Save button and selecting Add New Member.
Tip: When adding new families to your database invite them to the Member Portal at the time you are entering them. The Member Portal is available to any parishioner who has a valid email and where users can update their own Contact Preferences, Busy Weeks, and Miscellaneous information. They can only view their Committees and Sacraments. Using the Member Portal with your Parish can reduce your administrative burden and is included for free with Gabriel. For more information on taking advantage of the Member Portal check out Registering For The Member Portal.