If you have a new Family join your parish, the following steps will walk you through adding a Family and Member record to Gabriel.
The link below contains a guide to assist you in developing best practices for building and maintaining your Family and Member Records in your database.
Tip: Prior to adding a new family and/or member record to your database search the database by selecting the Family Status All > Search. Using Family and Member Search. This will produce any records that may already exist for the family within your church. If the family currently exists you can change the Family Status to active and update the Family and Member Records. If the family does not exist follow the instructions for adding families and the associated member records.
If you are part of a Diocese, Cluster and/or Collaborative then you would search across the Diocese or within your group of churches to ensure the family record does not already exist. If the family record exists in another church then you can add them to your church and assign the appropriate family status. Adding an Existing Family to an Additional Church Following this practice will prevent you from creating duplicate family/member records. How do we prevent a duplicate record from occurring? Please refer to this link for searching across the Diocese. Family Search Across The Diocese
Adding a New Family Record
1. Navigate to the Family Search screen where you will click on New Family.
2. On the New Family page enter any available information for the Family. Please note the following:
- The Mailing Label field is
- Only the Last Name field is required. All other fields are optional.
- For the First Name field, you can use one name or multiple names.
- If you are going to use Church Budget Envelope Integration and/or the parishioner receives giving envelopes then check the box Has Envelopes and be sure you assign a unique Budget Number to the family.
- For families that were converted from a previous system the fields System and System Family contains a previous system designator and family system ID# it was converted from.
- When entering family email or family telephone number the drop down arrow is used to specify families contact preferences. If you use One Call Now Integration and the family wants to receive phone calls you should check Voice Mail Notifications. For more details on One Call Integration please click on the link One Call Integration
4. Once you have entered all of the information then click the Save button in the bottom right corner of the page. You have now added a Family Record. Congratulations!
Adding Associated Member Records
1. Once you have saved the new family record the Members Tab is now available. Click New Member.
2. A pop-up will appear, enter the First Name and click Save.
3. You will be taken to the Member Information page. Here you can enter any information about the Member you have. To create a member record you only need the First Name and Last Name. If the member has a different last name than what is in the Family Record you can edit the Last Name field while in the Member Record. Please note there are 8 additional member tabs to enter additional information about the member. You may review the Gabriel Database Standards for Entering Family and Member Records in the link at the top of the article which will give you all the fields available in the Member Record.
4. Once you have entered the information click Save.
You can continue to add additional Members to this Family by clicking the arrow on the right side of the Save button and selecting Add New Member.
Tip: When adding new families to your database invite them to the Member Portal at the time you are entering them. The Member Portal is available to any parishioner who has a valid email and where users can update their own Contact Preferences, Busy Weeks, and Miscellaneous information. Using the Member Portal can reduce your administrative burden. For more information on the Member Portal check out Registering For The Member Portal and What can a parishioner see when they have access to the member portal?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call our support team at (774) 203-9480 for additional assistance.