This article is also available via a 4 min video which provides more details on the process. Video: Adding a new family
If you have a new Family join your parish, the following steps will walk you through adding a Family record to Gabriel and then all of the Members of that family along with any contact information you have. Tip: Prior to adding a new family and/or member record you should search the database by selecting the status ALL > Search. This will produce all records that may already exist for the family. If you are part of Diocese, Cluster and/or Collaborative then you would search across the Diocese or on your group of churches to ensure the family record does not already exist. If the family already exists then you can add them to your church. If the record currently exists in your church then you may only have to change the status and update the family and member records.
1. Open the new Family Search page by clicking Families > Family Search from the top navigation bar.
2. Just above the list of families click New Family.
3. On the New Family page enter the information for the Family. Things to note:
- This contact information is typically used for mailings and other family-level contacts.
- The mailing label field is
- Contributions and Pledges are tracked at the Family level. Go to the Family Pledge, Contribution and/or Statistic Tabs to view this historical information for each Family.
- Only the Last Name field is required. All other fields are optional.
- For First Name, you can either use one name or multiple or multiple names
- If you are going to use Church Budget Envelope Integration then check the box Has Envelopes and be sure you assign a unique Budget Number to the family.
- Once you have entered all of the information you would like then click the Save button in the bottom right corner of the page.
- You have now added a Family Record. Congratulations!
Now you can add a record for all of the Members of the Family.
- When you clicked Save on the New Family page the Members section opened in the bottom of half of the page click New Member.
A pop-up will appear, enter the First Name and click Save.
- You will be taken to the Member Information page. Here you can enter any information about the Member you have, only First and Last name are is required, and they have already been populated for you.
- Once you have entered the information click Save.
Remember that through the Member Portal users can update their own Contact Preferences, Busy Weeks, and Miscellaneous information. They can only view their Committees and Sacraments. Using Member Portal with your Parish can reduce your administrative burden and is included for free with Gabriel. For more information on taking advantage of Member Portal check out "coming soon" "Registering for the Member Portal".
Now you can continue to add additional Members to this Family by clicking the arrow on the right side of the Save button and selecting Add New Member.
Do you want to see it all in action then check out the video that demonstrates all of these steps with commentary?